Starting with 2019, the Municipality of Alba Iulia began implementing the benefits of the 5G infrastructure in relation to two main development areas in the city: mobility and energy. Together with Orange Romania, Urban Hawk Limited, Orange France, and all other partners in the consortium Alba Iulia will test the benefits of the following use cases:
Safety and security in public transport (Vertical Transport and Media)
The use-case, which will be hosted by the Municipality of Alba Iulia together with the Public Transport Company, Orange Romania, Orange France, Urban Hawk Limited aims to increase the safety and comfort of citizens and is divided into two components: infotainment services (streaming media, access to social networks, e-mail access, online shopping, access to public services of the municipality) and critical public safety service. These services will be provided in vehicles, on the go, or at stations.
In the case of the population security service, the vehicle will be equipped with surveillance cameras that will be connected to a Command and Control Center, of the municipality, being implemented the following scenarios:
- Identifying threats to public safety, such as theft, lost property that may pose a potential hazard, or medical emergencies
- Instant allocation of the necessary resources in the communication infrastructure to maximize the efficiency of the intervention. When such a danger is identified, dedicated infotainment resources are reserved, making it possible to establish a high quality live video stream to the Command and Control Center, and the 5G infrastructure will orchestrate the priorities of the necessary infotainment resources versus those necessary for public safety.
Status: Starting with 2021 the applications developed together with Urban Hawks and the local start-up SecurifAI will be functional.
Intelligent energy: data measurement and analysis
Demonstrating the energy use-case will consist in providing energy measurement services for 3 public buildings—one high school and 2 municipal buildings. In addition to capitalizing on the 5G-EVE infrastructure, at least 3 areas will be equipped with 5G base stations, which will serve approximately 50 relevant points (lighting points for public lighting, various single-phase or three-phase circuits of interest, and photovoltaic panels).
The challenges addressed in this use-case are:
- Prompt reporting and analysis for both electricity consumption and generation
- Electricity quality monitoring for incident management and ALS violation
- Predictive and proactive maintenance
Status: The equipment is ready to be installed starting with the month of November 2020.
5G VICTORI is continuing the initiatives of the smart city pilot project developed by Alba Iulia Municipality in 2018. Learn more about the pilot project: HERE