Our latest video gives an overview of the Use Case #3, its capabilities and the results of the field trial....
PaxLife Innovations (PXI) specializes in a cloudedge hosting platform to create, deploy and manage any applications that run on any vehicles – aircraft, rail, buses, ships, allowing the simple and efficient set up of value-added services for passengers or for operators.
Based in Potsdam, Germany, PaxLife Innovations was originally established to connect aircraft passengers to the digital world; PXI brought its cutting edge technology to rail and public transit with the launch of railSTACK cloudedge platform in 2019.
Role within 5G-VICTORI
PaxLife was originally operated in the aerospace sector providing in the inflight entertainment (IFE), satellite communication and maintenance data analysis. The company did not only deliver content but also designed and operated systems in fleets of aircraft. To meet the challenges of how to bring content and new services onboard in an innovative logic, PXI developed a cloudedge open platform – airSTACK – that is at the base of its entertainment solutions today. PXI brought its technology to rail and public transit – railSTACK – in 2019; in collaboration with the German national broadcaster Deutschlandradio and the Ostdeutsche Eisenbahn GmbH, PXI already proved operational readiness for media content delivery to passengers devices through the local onboard WiFi with production installations scheduled for Q2/2021. Thus PXI’s combined experience with media and rail operators will bring expertise in software and content hosting as well as deployment and distribution to support the 5G VICTORI consortium in the development of an architecture and prototype suitable to (multi-) CDN based media distribution in the transport industry.
Ostdeutsche Eisenbahn GmbH (ODEG): in 2019 PXI deployed and proved operational readiness for railSTACK-based customer experience within onboard WiFi for content and services delivery to passenger devices; number of trains: 6 EMU Siemens Desiro Classic.
The main services from PaxLife Innovations for ODEG were:
- Hosting of generic media apps ( DLF audiotheque – public radio) onboard of rail vehicles for passengers to access on their devices,
- Providing interruption-free live radio streaming of 12 live radio channels in parallel, available in areas with 4G, or non 4G + DAB+ or no coverage,
- Hosting of journals and magazines onboard for passengers to access on their devices
Thomas Cook Airlines – Condor: Design, Implementation and Operation of WiFi-based onboard entertainment system. 53 aircraft were fitted and were operational in 2016/2017. There has not been any further operation of the system after the insolvency of Thomas Cook Airlines.
PaxLife was responsible for the implementation, the integration into aircraft (with certification), the media delivery and the commercial operation. The contract covered hardware, software, certification, operation and commercial operation. The main services from PaxLife for Thomas Cook were:
- Server, WiFi Access Points
- Content management System based Entertainment Portal
- Direct sourcing of Hollywood movies
- Electronic placement of targeted advertisement
- Onboard catering sales, payment, duty free sales
- Moving Map
- Portal for Thomas Cook Content
- Integration of apps of commercial Thomas Cook partners (sales of destination tours)
Additional Airline references: PaxLife has supplied its WiFi Inflight Entertainment Portal, as well as the WiFi equipment to the following airlines:
- Dubai Air Wing VVIP fleet, PaxLife IFE plus Satcom Internet from another partner
- Tiger Airways – Onboard Catering Sales application
- Garuda AeroAsia – Onboard WiFi Entertainment portal plus hardware, for Indonesia domestic operation
From May 10th to 12th, 5G-VICTORI partner PaxLife Innovations participated in IT-Trans 2022, an international conference and exhibition on IT...
The new era of media streaming Media consumption patterns are changing dramatically. Traditional linear TV is experiencing a significant decline...
Large scale trials for Railway, Energy, Media and Factories of the Future planned 5G-VICTORI is funded by the EU program...