On April 15th – 17th, IPTO’s Department of Research Technology and Development participated as a major sponsor in the 13th...
IPTO is responsible for the operation of the electricity transmission grid in Greece with over 11 thousand km of system covering the whole of mainland Greece and an increasing portion of the Greek Islands. The Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO or ADMIE) S.A. was established in compliance with Law 4001/2011 and European Union Directive 2009/72/EC regarding the adoption of common rules in the organization of EU electricity markets. According to Law 4001/2011 ADMIE undertakes the role of Transmission System Operator for the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System and as such performs the duties of System operation maintenance and development so as to ensure Greece’s electricity supply in a safe, efficient and reliable manner.
Although a wholly owned subsidiary of PPC S.A., ADMIE is entirely independent from its parent company in terms of its management and operation, retaining effective decision-making rights, in compliance with all relevant independence requirements of Law 4001/2011 and Directive 2009/72/EC.
As the Operator of the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System, ADMIE’s mission is to ensure Greece’s electricity supply in a safe, efficient and reliable manner while promoting the development of competition in the Greek electricity market and guaranteeing the non-discriminatory treatment of System users. ADMIE in its capacity as Operator of the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System performs all duties stipulated in Article 94 of Law 4001/2011. These duties are:
- Ensuring the long term ability of the System to meet reasonable demand for electricity transmission in a financially and environmentally sustainable manner.
- Granting access to the System to all electricity generation and supply permit holders as well as to those parties which have been legally exempted from permit holding obligations and to High Voltage consumers.
- Allowing the connection of the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network to the System in compliance with the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System Operation Code
- Managing electricity flows on the System, taking into account exchanges with other interconnected systems.
- Ensuring the safe, reliable and efficient operation of the System as well as the availability of necessary ancillary services including those provided by demand response, insofar as such availability is independent from any other transmission system.
- Preparing the dispatch schedule for generation plant connected to the System, determination of interconnections usage and performance of real-time dispatching of available generation plant.
- Providing other system and network operators, with which the System is interconnected, with all information pertinent to safe and efficient operation as well as to the coordinated development and interoperability of the System with aforementioned systems and networks.
- Providing System Users with all necessary information to ensure their effective access to the System.
- Provision of all services under transparent, objective and non-discriminatory criteria so as to avoid any discrimination among Users or User categories, especially with regard to entities affiliated with ADMIE.
- Collection of System access charges and conduct of all relevant transactions under the inter-transmission system operator compensation mechanism, in compliance with Article 13 of Regulation (EC) No. 714/2009.
- Granting and managing third party access to the System and giving reasoned explanations when such access is denied.
- Participation in unions, organizations or other entities with the purpose of developing common action rules which are conducive to the creation of a unified internal electricity market, within the auspices of European Community law, and especially to the allocation and provision of electricity transmission rights via the corresponding interconnections as well as to the management of such rights on behalf of the aforementioned operators and especially in the European Network of Electricity Transmission System Operators (ENTSO-E)
- Preparing on an annual basis, upon prior consultation with all current and potential System Users, of the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System Ten Year Development Plan.
- Maintaining of necessary ledger accounts pertaining to the collection of interconnection congestion charges or any other charges relevant to the operation of the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System.
- Posting on ADMIE’s website, of all RAE approved amounts charged to System Users.
- Calculating the ex-post System Marginal Price (SMP) Clearing of generation-demand imbalances and conduct of all relevant transactions for the settlement of said imbalances in cooperation with the Market Operator and the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator.
- Entering, subject to a relevant tender process, into electricity trading agreements, including agreements for demand management insofar as this is required for the provision of ancillary services with the purpose of generation-demand imbalance settlement during real-time system operation and in compliance with the Hellenic Electricity Transmission System Operation Code
- Cooperation with the Market Operator according to the stipulations of the Market Operation and Hellenic Electricity Transmission System Codes.
- Provision of technical consulting services on issues pertaining to ADMIE’s duties, to Transmission System Operators or Owners on a fee and participation in research programmes as well as in programmes funded by the European Union, insofar as such activities do not hinder the appropriate execution of ADMIE’s duties.
Role within 5G-VICTORI
ADMIE will leading the task on Energy and Factories of the Future, and will be involved in demonstration activities, including high voltage substations, electricity powered trains. Concretely, ADMIE will be involved in the integration, validation and field trials involving the ADMIE’s premises and the deployment of two pairs of nodes that bring 5G coverage a) to train stations and along the rail tracks 2-3 km long, and b) to electricity substations.
University of Patras (Patras5G) supports the 5G trials of Independent Power Transmission Operator (IPTO – ADMIE)
In the context of 5G-VICTORI project, University of Patras (UOP) seeks to expand the Patras5G indoor network and reach out...
ADMIE contribution to 5G-VICTORI’s UC # 2: “Digitization of Power Plants”
The main objective of the “Digitization of Power Plants” Use Case is to extend the capabilities of the Patras 5G-VINNI...
European 5G-VICTORI Project kick-off in Berlin
Large scale trials for Railway, Energy, Media and Factories of the Future planned 5G-VICTORI is funded by the EU program...